Complete at last – The Web of Fear, with animated Episode 3, is coming to Blu-ray, DVD and Steelbook this August
For decades The Web of Fear was regarded as a lost classic. A Patrick Troughton adventure featuring the Second Doctor at his very best, but perhaps missing forever. When five of the six episodes were returned to the BBC Archive in 2013, modern audiences could at last confirm that its reputation was thoroughly deserved. But that DVD release was a distinctly vanilla affair, with no extras or additional content. But the 16th of August will see the release of Doctor Who: The Web of Fear Special Edition on Blu-ray, Steelbook and DVD. It includes the missing third episode recreated with a choice between a brand new fully animation in colour or black and white, or a reconstruction from the surviving ‘telesnap’ stills. All use the original soundtrack, as recorded by dedicated fans at the time. Plus there will be a full set of new documentaries and extras.
First broadcast from February to March 1968, Web of Fear places the Second Doctor, Jamie, and Victoria in a mysteriously abandoned London. They discover the fearsome Yeti, and their master the Great Intelligence are back and prowling the London Underground. It also marks the first appearance of the popular character Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart (before his promotion to Brigadier).
Included in Doctor Who: The Web of Fear Special Edition
- The five surviving episodes
- Animated Episode 3 (in both colour and black and white)
- Telesnap Reconstruction of Episode 3
- Audio commentaries on all episodes (with two on Episode 1)
- A documentary about the making of the original 1968 serial
- A documentary about the animation of Episode 3
- The Missing Years – documentary previously released on the Lost in Time DVD
- The Many Voices of Jack Woolgar – documentary about the career of the character actor who played Staff Sgt. Arnold in The Web of Fear
- Photo Gallery
- The Web of Fear Trailer – recreating the specially shot trailer from 1968 in which Patrick Troughton speaks directly to the audience
Doctor Who: The Web of Fear
In order to escape an attack in space, the TARDIS makes an unscheduled landing and ends up deep inside the London Underground. Here the travellers soon find themselves engulfed in a thrilling battle with the Great Intelligence and the Yeti, a deadly enemy set to invade the Earth.
But as events take a turn for the worse, it becomes clear that the golden prize is not just the Earth, but the Doctor’s mind too…