BBC Radio 4 have announced With Great Pleasure at Christmas, in which Neil Gaiman joins with Peter Capaldi and others to share some of his favourite seasonal pieces
In a special hour long radio program, Neil Gaiman shares the writing that he loves. Recorded in front of an audience at the BBC Radio Theatre this week, Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi aids and abets the Doctor’s Wife writer. Alongside them, other pieces chosen by Gaiman will be read by Nina Sosanya (Fear Her) and John Finnemore. Music is also on hand, provided by noted Doctor Who fan Mitch Benn and the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.
Gaiman has selected a number of favourite pieces of writing to be performed aloud by Capaldi and company for Christmas. These include:
- The 13 Clocks – an extract from James Thurber’s whimsical and linguistically playful 1950 fantasy novel
- No Bed for Bacon – there’ll also be an extract from the uproarious Shakespearean parody by Caryl Brahms and SJ Simons
- Christmas in Wind in the Willows
- The New Mother – Lucy Clifford’s spooky Victorian story about naughty children and a ‘new’ mother with glass eyes that comes to claim them
- Captain Murderer – Charles Dickens’ gruesome tale of a serial killer who goes unsuspected despite his incredibly suspicious name
- Mary Poppins – listeners will also hear an extract from PL Travers’ iconic collection of stories about the Banks children’s otherworldly Nanny.
- Plus poems by Terry Pratchett, Wendy Cope and Henry Treece and two delightfully funny short plays by AA Milne and Saki, performed by the whole cast. A clip of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and performances from the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.
With Great Pleasure at Christmas
With Great Pleasure at Christmas is a special festive edition of Radio 4’s With Great Pleasure series. It’s on BBC Radio 4 on Christmas Day at 7am.
With Great Pleasure at Chirstmas stars Neil Gaiman, Peter Capaldi, Nina Sosanya, John Finnermore and Mitch Benn. Music by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.