The full list of writers and directors for Doctor Who Series 12 has finally been revealed
As the New Year fast approaches, and the high streets put on their Christmas best, the traditional strains of “It’s only November!” have begun. But early 2020 also brings the long awaited return of Doctor Who. And as the publicity drive ramps up, Blogtor Who can bring you the final confirmed list of writers and directors for Series 12.
A team of seven writers will be joining showrunner Chris Chibnall in shaping the Doctor’s new adventures. And they introduce three fresh new voices to the world of Doctor Who
- Maxine Aldreton is a former Emmerdale script editor and writer. She was also part of the team behind the successful revival of The Worst Witch in 2017.
- Charlene James, meanwhile, is known for writing witches of an entirely less innocent kind in supernatural drama series A Discovery of Witches
- Nina Metivier has almost eighty writing credits to her name. Not least as creator of tense teen drama The A List. She also acted as a script editor on Doctor Who Series 11.
Elsewhere, four Series 11 writers are returning to the Doctor’s world for another outing
- Ed Hime (It Takes You Away)
- Vinay Patel (Demons of the Punjab)
- Pete McTighe (Kerblam!)
In other news, the list of new directors are entirely new to the world of Doctor Who
- Lee Haven Jones has previously worked on Russell T Davies’ Wizards vs Aliens. But they’re best known as a director of high quality crime mysteries such as Vera, The Bay, and Shetland.
- Nida Manzoor meanwhile, is perhaps best known for Enterprice, the BBC sitcom about two determined, but hapless, young entrepreneurs dreaming of success
- Emma Sullivan has been a director on many of the BBC’s biggest shows. Among them Holby City, Call the Midwife, and Silent Witness
- Jamie Stone, finally, is the only director to have previously touched down on Gallifrey. In 2013 he served as director on the 50th Anniversary minisode The Last Day.
Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall has said he’s “thrilled that Doctor Who continues to attract some of the most the most exciting and dynamic talent working in television. Along with our returning faces, we’re excited to welcome new members to the Doctor Who family. The Doctor Who team is crammed with British television’s brightest writers and directors.”
Praising the new writers and directors, Chibnall says the entire Doctor Who team have “adored working with them.” He also promises the new team of writers and directors have created “explosive stuff” for Series 12.
“We can’t wait to show you!”