The Essential Doctor Who Issue 8: Adventures in History is on sale today, and this Panini bookazine is devoted to a close look at the Doctor’s adventures during Earth’s own timeline. Adventures in History is a beautifully designed, 116-page extravaganza covering the Doctor’s special relationship with our planet.
The cover features Maisie Williams as Me, the Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) and the Twelfth Doctor, Peter Capaldi, who is the Doctor who met Me on one of his Earth adventures. The issue features extensive interviews with Doctor Who actors, writers, editors, and designers from both Classic and rebooted Doctor Who. Interviews include:
- Artist Jeff Cummins (Doctor Who Discovers)
- Story editor Gerry Davis (The Highlanders)
- Actor Bernard Kay (The Crusade)
- Costume designer Odile Dicks-Mireaux (The Visitation)
- Writer John Lucarotti (The Aztecs)
- Writer Jamie Mathieson (The Girl Who Died)
- Actor Ian McNeice (Victory of the Daleks)
- Director Saul Metzstein (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship)
- Writer Marc Platt (Ghost Light)
- Story editor Donald Tosh (The Massacre of St Bartholomew’s Eve)
- Artist George Underwood (The Doctor Who Dinosaur Book)
- Actress Anneke Wills, who played Polly in The Smugglers and other stories
Viewers have long noted the Doctor’s enduring relationship with Earth and humans, and Panini delved into that fascinating topic. Editor Marcus Hearn explained: ‘History in Doctor Who is about much more than the purely historical stories that were made in the 1960s. We decided to follow the Doctor’s entire journey through Earth history, with some of our best writers and designer Peri Godbold as our guides. We’ve never done anything quite like this before, and some of the rare pictures we’ve uncovered are amazing.’
Also in this issue, “DWM Archive” writer Andrew Pixley shares Donald Cotton’s notes for the 1965 story The Myth Makers. There are numerous timelines that chart the Doctor’s adventures from the creation of the Earth through to 1963, and 15 trips into history are revisited, from the era of the First Doctor, who arrives on Earth with his granddaughter Susan, right through to current age of the Twelfth Doctor, who was recently seen in a diner in Nevada.
The Essential Doctor Who Issue 8: Adventures in History is on sale now at WHSmith and at all good newsagents, price £9.99.