Doctor Who’s Season 14 makes a fast return to Blu-ray as an additional run of copies to meet demand is announced
The Collection range of Doctor Who Blu-ray releases has presented these classic stories looking better than ever. In addition, it’s placed them in context thanks to a host of new extras. And that’s as well as collecting all the existing extras in one place! It’s an achievement made possible by their limited edition nature, in a world where physical media increasingly has to justify its existence as a high quality, premium product. But, since it’s impossible to predict the demand for a given season with complete accuracy, there will always be those that miss out. In the case of Season 14, arguably one of the most popular seasons of Doctor Who ever, this was particularly keenly felt.
The boxset of Tom Baker’s third season sold out on pre-orders alone, long before the actual release date. Even some who pre-ordered found that if their purchase was lost or damaged in transit to them, no replacement was possible.
BBC Studios have responded by announcing a special re-issue of Doctor Who: The Collection – The Complete Season 14 on the 27th of July. This makes it the second boxset to get such a re-release after Season 12 earlier this year. The packaging, artwork, and contents of this Second Edition will all be identical to the First Edition. (In the case of Season 12, they was text marking it as Second Edition on the underside, but there’s no word as yet if it will be same for Season 14).
Numbers will also be limited once again. You can place your pre-orders now at Amazon or other quality retailers.
To refresh your memories, the stories included in Season 14 are:
- The Masque of Mandragora
- The Hand of Fear
- The Deadly Assassin
- The Face of Evil
- The Robots of Death
- The Talons of Weng-Chiang
With all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features which include:
- Immersive 5.1 surround sound on The Deadly Assassin
- Brand new audio commentaries – Tom Baker and Matthew Sweet on selected episodes of The Face of Evil and The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Behind the Sofa – New episodes with Tom Baker, Louise Jameson, Philip Hinchcliffe, plus companions Sophie Aldred and Peter Purves.
- Our Sarah Jane – A feature-length tribute to Elisabeth Sladen, who played Sarah Jane.
- Whose Doctor Who Revisited – Toby Hadoke meets the producers and grown-up stars of the very first Who Documentary.
- In Conversation – Matthew Sweet chats to producer Philip Hinchcliffe.
- Blu-Ray trailer – Louise Jameson has trouble with her new home assistant.
- Brand new interviews
- Rare archive material
- Convention footage
- HD photo galleries
- Scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files and other gems from our PDF archive
- And all in another gorgeously illustrated boxet design by Lee Binding
The eight-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.
Doctor Who: The Collection – The Complete Season 14 stars Tom Baker as The Fourth Doctor, Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith and Louise Jameson as Leela. The Master reappears in The Deadly Assasin, played by Peter Pratt.
You can read Blogtor Who’s full review of the set below.