Doctor Who has received three nominations in the 2019 Saturn Awards. The show itself, along with stars Jodie Whittaker and Tosin Cole have been recognized.
The Saturn Awards are the prestigious awards dedicated to science fiction on the big screen and television. This year they have nominated Doctor Who in three categories. Doctor Who and current TARDIS travellers Jodie Whittaker and Tosin Cole are also in the frame to take home Saturns. Meanwhile several former stars have also received nods.
Doctor Who is nominated as Best Science Fiction Television Series. It’s up against fellow nominees Counterpart, Krypton, Manifest, Roswell, New Mexico, The 100, The Orville, and Westworld.
Meanwhile the Doctor herself, Jodie Whittaker, is on the shortlist for Best Actress on a Television Series. She’s nominated alongside Caitriona Balfe (Claire Randall, Outlander), Melissa Benoist (Supergirl, Supergirl), Emelia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones), Sandra Oh (Eve Polastri, Killing Eve), Adrienne Palicki (Commander Grayson, The Orville), and Candice Patton (Iris West-Allen, The Flash).
And Whittaker’s co-star Tosin Cole has been recognized as an up and coming star. His performance as Ryan Sinclair sees him included in the Best Younger Actor in a Television Series category. But he faces stiff competition from former recurring guest star Maisie Williams (Ashildr/Me in Series Nine) for her role as Arya Stark in Game of Thrones. The other nominees are KJ Apa (Archie Andrews, Riverdale), Cameron Cuffe (Seg-El, Krypton), David Mazouz (Bruce Wayne, Gotham), Cole Sprouse (Jughead Jones, Riverdale), and Benjamin Wadsworth (Marcus Lopez, Deadly Class).
Many former stars of Doctor Who have also been nominated
Doctor Who has a long history with the Saturn Awards, which are now in their 45th year. Since 1996, it has won three times (for the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie, Series Four, and The Husbands of River Song). And it’s been nominated a further seventeen times in previous years. These include nods for Paul McGann, David Tennant, Jenna Coleman, Bernard Cribbins and Alex Kingston. This year brings its total number of nominations to 23. Whittaker becomes the fourth Doctor (and Cole the second ever companion) to be nominated.
Several other familiar faces are also nominated. These include:
- David Tennant (The Tenth Doctor) as Best Actor in a Streaming Presentation for his role as the demon Crowley in Good Omens (by Doctor Who writer Neil Gaiman) on Amazon Prime.
- Good Omens itself is nominated as Best Streaming Series.
- Meanwhile, Bad Samaritan, which starred Tennant as a serial killer, is also nominated for Best Thriller Film.
- Karen Gillan (Amy Pond) as Best Supporting Actress in a Film for her role as Nebula in Avengers: Endgame.
- Tennant’s co-star Michael Sheen (House, The Doctor’s Wife) as Best Supporting Actor in a Streaming Presentation for his role as the angel Arizaphale in Good Omens.
- Bill Pullman (Oswald Danes in Torchwood) as Best Actor in a Television Series for The Sinner. He’s up against David Harewood (Joshua Naismith, The End of Time) for his role as the Martian Manhunter on Supergirl.
The Saturn Awards are decided by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films and will be held on the 13th of September.