The first in a new series of bookazines steps back in time to look at all things 1965
Doctor Who Chronicles is a new series of bookazines from the makers of Doctor Who Magazine. Examining the landmark years of the show’s history in unprecedented detail, the first issue looks at 1965. It was the year when the most popular episodes of Doctor Who attracted more than 13 million viewers. While Dalekmania reached its peak with the release of the first feature film based on the series.
From detailed overviews of all the episodes, to revelations about the Chumblie toys that almost were, Doctor Who Chronicles: 1965 leaves no stone unturned. The bookazine opens up the archive to take a look at the Audience Research reports for 1965’s equivalent of hot takes on Twitter. And it also examines how Doctor Who was viewed by the media of the time, through press coverage of the show.
This 116-page Doctor Who bookazine features newly discovered images and all-new features, including
- a summary of the year’s most significant events in the Doctor Who universe (both on and off screen)
- the rarest items of Dalek memorabilia; designs for Galaxy 4 toys that never went on sale
- the untold story behind a Dalek-voiced TV commercial
- how Doctor Who was reported in the popular press
- insights into the BBC’s Audience Research Reports
- a look at the first Doctor Who annual, a tribute to The Daleks comic-strip artist Richard Jennings
- The Curse of the Daleks, the first theatre production based on the series
- special effects and production techniques
- overviews of The Rescue, The Romans, The Web Planet, The Crusade, The Space Museum, The Chase, The Time Meddler, Galaxy 4, Mission to the Unknown, The Myth Makers and The Daleks’ Master Plan
- and much more
Doctor Who Chronicles: 1965
Doctor Who: Chronicles – 1965 is on sale from 24 February, RRP just £9.99 from the Doctor Who Magazine section of store.panini.co.uk and selected branches of WH Smith. It’s also available digitally from pocketmags.com priced £8.99.