The latest in the best-selling series of Doctor Who Blu-Ray releases has been formally announced as The Collection: The Complete Season 26
Ahead of next month’s release of The Complete Season 23 on the 4th of October, BBC Studios have already announced the following release. Doctor Who: The Collection – The Complete Season 26 will be coming to Blu-Ray on the 23rd of December. Just in time for a last minute frantic Christmas wrap to put it under the tree for the Who fan in your life.
Season 26 originally aired in 1989 and was the final season in the show’s original 1963-1989 run. And it’s long been considered a cruel irony by fans that this final season was also one of the best, and showed an enthusiasm and imagination that promised great things for the future.
Starring Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor, alongside Sophie Aldred as his trusty companion Ace, the season also saw the return of Nicholas Courtney as the Brigadier in season premiere Battlfield. All four stories from the season – Battlefield, Ghost Light, The Curse of Fenric, and Survival – have been loving restored for this Blu-Ray release. And all wrapped up in another gorgeous design from Lee Binding.
And, as always with The Collection, the original extras from the DVD releases have been joined by a host of new documentaries and extras including:
- The Curse of Fenric Extended Version (as originally seen on the VHS release)
- The Curse of Fenric Special Edition (as originally seen on the DVD release)
- Battlefield Extended Version (as originally seen on the VHS release)
- Battlefield Special Edition (as originally seen on the DVD release)
- Brand new Ghost Light extended workprint
- 5.1 surround sound on all 14 broadcast episodes, plus 5.1 sound on all extended versions of The Curse Of Fenric and Battlefield.
- Behind the Sofa with Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Anneke Wills, Pete McTighe & Joy Wilkinson.
- Showman – the Life of John Nathan-Turner A feature-length look at the life and career of Doctor Who’s longest-serving producer
- Making The Curse of Fenric
- In Conversation Matthew Sweet chats to companion Sophie Aldred.
- The Writers’ Room with Ben Aaronovitch, Marc Platt, Ian Briggs, Rona Munro
- and Andrew Cartmel
- Becoming The Destroyer Actor Marek Anton and prosthetics designer Stephen Mansfield recall the creation of one of Doctor Who’s best ever monsters.
- Blu-Ray trailer with Sophie Aldred back in character as Ace.
- Unseen studio footage
- Rare archive treats
- Convention footage
- HD photo galleries
- Scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files
- and other gems from our PDF archive
- And lots more!
The Complete Season 26 is accompanied by another in the by now beloved trailer series – this time featuring the return of Sophie Aldred as Ace!
Powered by Embed YouTube Video
The Curse of Fenric at the British Film Institute
The release of The Complete Season 26 is being supported by a BFI screening of Doctor Who: The Curse of Fenric Special Edition. The screening will take place at the BFI Southbank on Saturday 23rd November, Doctor Who’s 56th anniversary. It will be followed by a Q&A with actor Sophie Aldred and script editor Andrew Cartmel. Tickets are available from the BFI on the following dates:
- Monday 16th September – BFI Patrons and Champions
- Tuesday 17th September – BFI Members
- Tuesday 24th September – public booking
Doctor Who: The Collection – The Complete Season 26 is available to pre-order now from Amazon and all good retailers. It is scheduled for release on the 23rd of December.