It’s that time of year again when Candy Jar gives fans a chance to try their hand at writing for Lethbridge-Stewart. This is the third opportunity of its kind and is open to those in and out of the UK.
Locked up in your place with nothing to do and nowhere to go? This competition may just give you a goal and a writing credit to your name. Not only that but the winner will receive a Kindle Fire and a publishing deal for either The Lucy Wilson Mysteries or the Lethbridge-Stewart range. As well, those short listed will be published in the Lethbridge-Stewart Short Story Collection Volume 3.
Sometimes writing can be difficult but having a goal and/or a theme can help motivate and inspire. This year’s competition has been given a them. Andy Frankham-Allen, the editor of the Lethbridge-Stewart range, explains. “This time we’re opting for a theme, something to combat the doom and gloom that threatens to overtake us all at the moment. And that theme is The Perfect Day.
“The challenge is, what can you do with such a theme? What kind of story does it suggest to you? How would such a story work for our characters (the Brigadier, Anne, Bill, Lucy, Hobo, etc)? And, like in the previous entries, everyone is free to use any original character from both the Lethbridge-Stewart and Lucy Wilson Mysteries ranges, plus our licensed characters. But, and I can’t stress this enough, not characters owned by the BBC or any other creator, without express permission (proof will be required).”
Got it? Good!
As with any competition it’s important to know the rules and without further ado:
The entry fee is £5. Visit here to register.
Your name, age, email, address and telephone number.
Submissions can be entered from 29 March 2020 to 24 September 2020.
Submission guidelines for the Lethbridge-Stewart South Wales Short Story Competition:
• Maximum of 3000 words.
• You must include your name in the document, along with the title.
• Word (or Word compatible) files only. We do not accept PDF submissions.
• This competition is open to anybody, whether you’re a fan of Doctor Who and Lethbridge-Stewart or not. We’re looking for stories that utilise any character from the Lethbridge-Stewart and The Lucy Wilson Mysteries range of books (list of Lethbridge-Stewart characters here: http://www.lethbridge-stewart.co.uk/characters/). It is not necessary to fit within the timeline; these stories are out of the canon of the series, so feel free to let your imagination run wild!
• A selection of free short stories will be sent to any applicant on request, should you need to see our characters in action.
• Our license is with the Haisman Literary Estate only, therefore you CAN use any character from the Doctor Who serials The Abominable Snowmen, The Web of Fear and The Dominators, or any original character found Candy Jar Books’ Lethbridge-Stewart and The Lucy Wilson Mysteries series (except characters from Doctor Who that appeared in the ranges under express permission).
• You can NOT use any other Doctor Who characters or monsters. (Unless you have proof of permission from the creator of the chosen monster/character.)
• You can NOT use UNIT or any associated characters
• Any entries that feature a Doctor Who character not owned by the Haisman Literary Estate (and without express permission) will be instantly disqualified, with no refund.
Maybe you don’t fancy yourself a writer but still love what Candy Jar produces. Well, throughout the coronavirus isolation Candy Jar will be giving away free books on Kindle each Friday (and for 5 days afterwards). The first is The Lucy Wilson Mysteries: Avatars of the intelligence. To download visit https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucy-Wilson-Mysteries-Avatars-Intelligence-ebook/dp/B07CNC9H7P/ref=tmm_kin_title_sr?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1585353959&sr=8-5
Stay safe and stay cool!