Big Finish’s annual search to identify talented new writers enters its fourth year
Paul Spragg was a popular and central figure in the world of Big Finish and his death in 2014 was keenly felt across fandom. Since 2016 he has been remembered and honoured by a celebration of one of his passions – finding and encouraging new talent.
The Paul Spragg Memorial Short Trips Opportunity will result in one talented entrant being commissioned to write a Short Trip to be recorded and published by Big Finish Productions.
Entrants must be aware of the following conditions:
- Submissions must be received by the 30th of June
- The Short Trip format is a short story, narrated by a single reader. Not a full cast play.
- Submissions must be in the form of two pages of approximately 500 words each. The first page is an outline of the entire story, while the second an extract of the actual script. The extract must be the story’s beginning, not lifted from the middle of the text.
- The story can feature any of the first twelve Doctors, but not the War Doctor or the Thirteenth. Any of the first seven Doctors’ television companions can also be used, or ones created by Big Finish themselves for any of the Doctors. Companions that first appeared on television from 2005 on can not be featured.
- No existing monsters can be used, nor existing secondary characters or organizations (such as UNIT, the Pasternoster Gang etc)
However, it’s vital that anyone planning on making a submission read the full list of rules on the Big Finish site.
The previous three winning Short Trips can be downloaded for free from Big Finish. These include the initial entries (outlines and extracts) plus the final scripts. Entrants are recommended to use these as an aid in seeing how the format works.